Elizabeth LawsClinical Advisor
I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT THE MIDWIFERY PROFESSION AND THE RELATIONSHIPS I DEVELOP, BUT I AM ALSO EQUALLY COMMITTED TO OBTAINING ANSWERS AND JUSTICE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN LET DOWN BY THE PROFESSION THEY PUT THEIR TRUST IN.
Since qualifying as a midwife in 2005, I have practised clinically in both hospital and community settings, in stand alone midwifery units and tertiary referral hospitals, as well as the tertiary unit in Sydney, Australia in 2007.
I continue to maintain my registration through practice and education standards required by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
Alongside midwifery, I have several years’ experience in the medico-legal field. I specialise in advising on and assisting in the running of obstetric, midwifery and neonatal injury claims including cerebral palsy, shoulder dystocia and Erb’s palsy, perineal trauma, stillbirth, difficult forceps or ventouse deliveries, uterine rupture and placental abruption, management of diabetes and pre-eclampsia.
- Advising and assisting in obtaining liability in four cerebral palsy birth injury claims.
- Attending the RCJ for trial in cerebral palsy claims.
- Advising in claims obtaining damages of £85,000 for perineal damage during childbirth.
- Nursing and Midwifery Council Registered Midwife.
- Member of the Royal College of Midwives.
- Member of the Royal College of Nursing.
- Volunteer for AvMA helpline team.
- Links with Baby Lifeline and SCOPE charities.