Holly Mieville-HawkinsSenior Associate
I AM A PASSIONATE ADVOCATE OF THE RIGHTS OF THOSE THAT LACK MENTAL CAPACITY TO MAKE DECISIONS FOR THEMSELVES.
" All the things you need to be for Court of Protection work.”
"I have been amazed at the length to which she has gone to support my family."
"Extraordinarily supportive, efficient, patient, proactive, timely and compassionate."
I am a member of the mental capacity team and an expert in the field of Court of Protection work, specialising in making and defending applications. This includes complex property and affairs, Deputyship applications, acting for both children who have suffered brain injury and for adults who have lost or are losing mental capacity. I regularly act where there are concerns of physical or financial abuse and also provide detailed advice to clients on Statutory Will and gifting applications.
Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPA) are also an area of particular interest and I regularly advise on LPAs in complex familial situations, both for property and affairs and health and welfare.
- Successfully dealt with the appointment of Deputy and Deputyship administration for a client whose estate was worth £10 million. Close liaison with the Police was necessary as the care home owners have been arrested for fraud against the client. The criminal matter is ongoing and the press have been involved.
- Successfully settling a Deputyship matter including case management, fluctuation capacity, Deputyship and a statutory will following a personal injury settlement. A highly complex case dealing with an acrimonious relationship with the client’s family.
- Representing a client ordinarily resident in the United States, but who is a British national with assets in both England and the United States. The client lacked mental capacity to manage his finances, and he executed power of attorney in his home state to deal with his assets in the United States.
- Recognised as an ‘Associate to Watch’ in the Chambers UK legal directory.
- Praised for my work in the area of mental capacity, and managing finances for clients in the UK and abroad.
- Member of the Law Society Committee.